Did you know that Virginia has over 300(!) wineries and is named “Birthplace of American Wine”? Our local Monticello Wine Trail fulfills Thomas Jefferson’s vision of having vineyards “standing shoulder to shoulder” with the great wines of the world.
The Charlottesville area itself is home to more than 40 wineries. Wines produced here have received national and international acclaim. If you are unsure which winery to look for, check out the annual Virginia Governor’s Cup Medal Winners and let your curiosity lead the way.
Still wondering where to start?
To help you plan your day, we put together a list of our favorites and clustered them according to their geographical location. Many wineries offer snacks or lunch, but our area also has great sandwich shops. We’ve included them in our tour, so you don’t miss them while you are on your way.
We recommend planning for no more than 3 wine tastings per day. But since “grapes don’t grow in ugly places” you might stop at other wineries just to enjoy the view and add them to your bucket list for your next visit.
Total driving time for round trip: 1 hour 30 mins
- Stinson Vineyards – our neighbors just down the road with a lovely view and award-winning wines
- Grace Estate Winery – pair wine and dancing with their Salsa Social on every first Sunday
- Although our gourmet breakfast will keep you satisfied for quite a while, we recommend making a pit stop at the Greenwood Gourmet Grocery Store, which offers amazing sandwiches and locally produced delicatessen.
- King Family Vineyards – exquisite winery, sample their wines while enjoying a Sunday polo match
- Pollak Vineyards – local family-owned winery with wines made in the French tradition and a beautiful vista of the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Veritas Vineyard and Winery – beautiful room with great fireplace & mountain views; its restaurant also offers delectable wine-pairing dinners
Total driving time for round trip: 1 hour 50 mins
- Total driving time for round trip to the East (Keswick, Barboursville): approx. 1.5 hours;
- Total driving time for round trip to the North: (Early Mountain, Hark, Glass House): approx. 1.5 hours
- Total driving time for round trip to all wineries listed below: approx. 2 hours
- Right after you leave the inn, grab a sandwich at the Hunt Country Store just 0.5 miles down the road; or combine a wine tasting with one of the tasty lunches the following wineries offer
- Keswick Vineyards – award-winning wines, light lunches, miniature golf for a fun day
- Barboursville Vineyard – slightly northeast from us, their reds are our favorites, one of the busiest vineyards of the area
- Early Mountain Vineyards – lovely family-owned winery, wonderful wines
- Hark Vineyards – another family-owned winery;
- Glass House Winery – wine tasting in the tropical flair of a glass house, paired with handcrafted chocolates
For more information check the
If dry wines are not your thing but Sweet and Fruity Wines are –
- Hill Top Winery – Sweet wines made of anything else but grapes (such as blackberries, plums, peaches etc.)
Wine Tour Companies – Need a designated driver or a knowledgeable local guide? Check out these services. Be sure to mention that you are staying with us when you talk with them.
Another great (and economic) way to visit without having to drive is C’ville Hop-on Tours: Take the shuttle, hop off at the winery, brewery, cidery or distillery of your choice, stay as long as you like and then hop on again for the next stop.