When you stay at the Foxfield Inn in Charlottesville, VA, every day we’ll treat you with freshly baked and individually wrapped cookies. Some of our recipes require baking extras to make sure that the guests last to arrive still get some! If you love the combination of coconut and chocolate as much as we do then give this recipe a try. While you’ve got them in the oven, head over to our reservation page and start planning out your Charlottesville adventures!
Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
(My recipe is adjusted based on the recipe by Aaron Hutcherson on simplyrecipes.com)
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 12-14 mins
Total Time: ca. 30 mins
Servings: ca. 60 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup / 2 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer (I use a hand mixer) beat together the sugar and butter until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a bowl scraper to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Add the two eggs and vanilla to the butter-sugar mix and beat until no clumps or streak remains.
- Add slowly flour mix to the butter-sugar-egg mix until just combined.
- Mix in the shredded coconut and chocolate chips with a spatula (or put mixer on low speed but I prefer the spatula) until everything is evenly incorporated.
- If the dough feels very soft chill for 30 mins before scooping and baking. If you bake the cookies right away they will spread a little more as the dough is softer.
- Use a middle-sized ice scoop to scoop the dough out onto a baking sheet. Space the cookies about 1 ½ inches apart as they will spread. If you like flat cookies you might flatten them with the bottom of a water glass before baking but I prefer the slightly more domed form.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for about 12-14 mins. The cookies are done when the bottoms are golden brown (you will see the rim slightly browning) and the tops feel dry.
- Don’t overbake – cookies should be still a bit soft in the middle when you take them out of the oven.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for about 3 mins. Then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- The original recipe says that the cookies will keep in an airtight container for about a week. But I prefer to freeze the dough balls and bake them when needed.
There you have it! The most delicious coconut chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever have! We can’t wait to share these and so much more with you when you book your next traveling adventure with us.