If you’ve always wanted to visit the home of our third president the winter months are the time to do it. OK, it will be cold on top of the mountain but the crowds aren’t there and you can spend quality time with the docents giving the tours. During the fall and summer you are rushed from one section of the house to another with little opportunity to ask questions.
Since it’s almost Holiday season you might want to participate in these events:
- Holiday Open House – explore the first floor on your own and see how the Jefferson’s decorated for Christmas, Sunday December 1st
- Artisan Day – enjoy meeting and talking with local artisans in the Shop at Monticello, Saturday December 7th
- Holiday Evening Tours – this is on that our guests always enjoy; experience Monticello after dark, get an closer look at hos the family celebrated the holidays and explore the Dome room, December weekends
There are now multiple tours for you to get more insight into life at Monticello – all tours include exploration of the gardens and grounds.
- Monticello House Tour – see the first floor rooms where Jefferson lived and entertained
- Behind the Scenes Tour – Includes the first floor rooms and the private quarters on the second and third floors, including the iconic Dome Room
- Hemmings Family Tour – life and times of the Hemmings family
- Slavery Tour – discover the experiences of the enslaved people who lived and labored at Monticello
- Grounds and Garden Tour – at this time of year there isn’t much to see other than the extent of the gardens
Enjoy Monticello next month.
Dan & Kathryn