As the long summer days start to wind down, don’t your thoughts turn towards sweaters, gorgeous foliage, and the smell of apple cinnamon? We’ve made it easy and created a plan for your fall getaway to Charlottesville, VA. The east coast is well known for its show-stopping fall foliage, and the Blue Ridge Mountains seem to glow in the crisp morning air.
Check availability now and book your favorite room. It’s no secret that fall is one of the best times of year for a visit!
Fun Activities During your Getaway
Of course, we are happy to help you plan a totally personalized itinerary for your stay, but to get your fall pumpkin spice juices flowing, here is a list of possible fun activities:
Fall Foliage Drives
The main attraction is, of course, the fall foliage! Where should you go to see the best display? That, in part, will depend on your timing, you can check the postings on the VA Foliage Report. Our area tends to peak in October, with variations due to temperatures and rainfall.
The “VA official” leaf driving tour runs from Stanardsville, VA to Sperryville, VA. However, we think that there is so much more than just that one drive. You can also try:
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Try entering the Parkway in Afton (Exit 99 on I-64) and travel south to Ravens Roost Overlook for a magnificent view.
- Shenandoah National Park: Use the Rockfish Gap entrance (Exit 99 on I-64), and travel north to Skyline Drive and Shenandoah Park. You will need an entrance pass (buy it online), and be aware that fall is the busiest season. A midweek visit will be quieter.
- Albemarle County: Try a peaceful drive on either Blackwells Hollow Rd (Rt 810) or Plank Rd (Rt 692).
Fun Stops on Your Drive
Hiking: You may want to get out of your car, stretch your legs, and head into the woods to enjoy the gorgeous scenery. If you are on either the Blue Ridge Parkway or in Shenandoah, consider a hike. We have curated the best easy and moderate hikes in the area; you can tack one onto your drive!
Apple Picking: A fun fall excursion is to visit the Saunders Monticello Trail near Monticello. Walk to the summit of the Carter Overlook for amazing views and camera opportunities. Afterward, visit Carter Mountain Orchard to pick apples, and munch a few cider donuts. You can also purchase some already-picked apples if you prefer. If you are planning on picking apples, make sure you set a time in advance if it is a busy weekend.
Tour the Grand Caverns: For a different type of experience, plan a tour of the historic Grand Caverns in Staunton, VA, a 45-minute drive from the Inn. Reserve a two-hour tour, or add an extra adventure; their theme is Get Dirty, Get Tired, Get Caving. While you are there, downtown Staunton is worth a visit, including Sunspots Glass Studio.
Visit the Wineries While you are driving, think about a visit to one of the many superior wineries in the Charlottesville area. Fall harvest is an amazing time to see the vineyards, and have a taste of the previous year’s offering.
Oktoberfest at the Breweries: Fall is the time for Oktoberfest! Visit the craft breweries on the Charlottesville Ale Trail, and take part in this ages-old celebration!
Visit a Festival: Fall is the season for many iconic festivals! Plan your stay based on your favorite, or make a serendipitous stop! Here are a couple of our favorites:
- Corn Maze Festival: Weekends from September 24 – November 6 in Lovingston, VA. Several mazes are open both day and night, an obstacle course, and, of course, tons of pumpkins.
- Clay Festival: September 17 & 18 in the High School cafeteria in Stanardsville, celebrating the creative possibilities of clay.
- Crozet Arts and Crafts Festival: October 8 & 9 in Crozet Park. See over 120 juried exhibitions of amazing artists of many different mediums.
- Artisan Studio Tour: November 12 & 13 Download the map and tour the artists’ studios. Purchase a passport, and have it stamped for a credit on the work of your favorite artist.
Delicious Dining Suggestions
All of the fall fresh air will certainly make you hungry! If your adventures during the day have taken you to the wineries, many of them offer lunch, which can also be enjoyed outdoors. Perfect on a sunny fall day! Some of the wineries that serve food are listed below.
If instead, you have headed in a different direction, Charlottesville is chock full of amazing restaurants! Decide on the type of food you are craving, and take a look at our list of favorite restaurants. Don’t hesitate to ask if you just can’t decide!
Where to Stay
The one missing link to your perfect getaway is where you are going to rest your weary (but happy) bones after your day exploring. We think that Foxfield Inn is the perfect place! If the night air is supposed to be cool, make sure you choose a room with a fireplace, like the Garden Room, which also has an oversized jacuzzi tub!
All of the rooms have access to our outdoor hot tub and fire pit. Each room also has a robe and slippers to get you there. What a fabulous way to end the day! Fall asleep dreaming about the scrumptious breakfast waiting for you in the morning!
Clearly, you will need several days to make sure you experience the best that Charlottesville has to offer. Take out your calendar and start to plan your fall getaway to Charlottesville VA now; the leaves will start their big change before you know it.
Updated August 2022