January can bring a shift in our mood- the holidays are over and now we must get through the winter months. However, there is so much to be thankful for about the month: The opportunity of a new start and clean slate for the new year and the hope for a peaceful, snowy day (or maybe a few). Plus, Charlottesville has some great events going on, like restaurant week, so it promises to be a great month! Here are a few we think look great:
- First Day Hike– January 1st. Many of us set goals around being healthier for the new year, so why not start from day one with a hike? It will start at Kemper Park and explore many parts of the Saunders-Monticello trail with a two hour trek led by a trail manager. This sounds like a good way to enjoy a beautiful part of Charlottesville and get a jumpstart on focusing on your health for the new year! Monday.
- National Theatre Live in HD Presents: Follies– January 7th. Stephen Sondheim’s musical will be staged at the National Theatre for the first time and broadcast to cinemas including The Paramount, where you can view it in Charlottesville! The show takes place in New York, set in 1971 on a stage where the cast are partying to celebrate a theaterthat will be demolished the next day. The follies girls enjoy the party and tell lies about themselves, and the story goes from there. This is a great opportunity to see a show that is sure to be legendary. Sunday.
- Winter Farmer’s Market– January 13th. You don’t have to worry about missing the great farmer’s markets in Charlottesville if you are visiting in the winter. IX Park will be hosting a Winter Farmer’s Market throughout January, February and March, starting on January 13th. Find some of Charlottesville’s favorite local vendors at this market all winter long! Saturday.
- Cocktail Syrup Class– January 25th. Join Vitae Spirits to learn how to make simple syrup that is traditionally used in cocktails. Kerrie Pierce will lead you in making the syrup, and you will leave being able to repeat the process start to finish on your own. Your class will also be accompanied by one of Kerrie’s signature cocktails, which you will help in creating. We think this event sounds like a great and creative way to warm up a chilly January day. Thursday
- Know Good Beer and Bourbon Festival– January 27th. This festival, held at IX Park, will have you sampling a great selection of local craft beer with a few from outside of the state of Virginia as well. There will also be samples of ciders, bourbon, and other hand crafted spirits available for sampling at no extra cost. VIP tickets will get you access to rare beers, ciders and top shelf bourbons. If you love bourbon, beer, or both, this is a great winter festival to attend! Saturday
January doesn’t have to be a drab or depressing month. Enjoy your fresh start to the new year and any of the unique events happening in C’Ville! Which one sounds most fun to you?