When August arrives, we know that summer is soon coming to a close. What better reason to soak up the month and enjoy all it has to offer? Charlottesville, as always, is filled with things to do this month. Here’s a few we think sound fun- come stay with us so you can experience these events and a relaxing, end-of-summer stay!
- Oklahoma! Presented by the Charlottesville Opera– August 2nd, 4th, and 5th. The Charlottesville Opera is ending its season with Oklahoma! at the historic Paramount Theater. This show, written by Richard Rodgers and librettist Oscar Hammerstein II, portrays a rivalry between a small town’s cowboys and farmers which is brought to a head through a romance of a local farm girl and a rough cowboy. It is a wonderful musical for adults and children, and there are many well-seasoned actors and actresses that are sure to make this a great show! Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
- Tasting Summer Fruits– August 5th. Head to Monticello to enjoy the “Precious Refreshment,” as Jefferson called them as you taste several summer fruits. You’ll enjoy an informal two hour fruit feast and short talks on history and fruit growing in the state of Virginia. Don’t miss this sweet and tasty event! Saturday.
- Tailgate Thursday at Stinson Vineyards– August 10th. Head to Stinson Vineyards this evening for their sunset series. Matthew McAllister, an independent folk singer/songwriter, will be playing live music. You may bring anything you’d like to grill out and cook on their grills. If you don’t buy food ahead of time to cook, you can also call ahead and have them thaw and hold local meat for you to grill at this event. It sounds like a relaxing time with delicious wine and great
- Lyle Lovett and His Large Band at Sprint Pavilion– August 16th. Spend the evening on the Downtown Mall at Sprint Pavilion, a great outdoor concert venue, seeing Lyle Lovett and His Large Band. This musician has helped define American music as he has been writing and playing it for three decades with 14 albums. He fuses the sounds of Americana, swing, jazz, folk, gospel and blues to bring a truly unique musical experience. Wednesday.
- 2017 Virginia Craft Brewers Festival– August 19th. Head to IX Art Park for a brewers festival hosted by local Three Notch’d Brewing Company for a tasting of hundreds of local Virginia craft beers from over 80 breweries. As you taste, talk to the brewers about what makes their beer unique. The festival is family friendly, and there are designated driver tickets available for less if needed. Some of the area’s best food trucks will be there so that you can enjoy food with your beer! Saturday.
Which event looks most interesting to you? We hope you come visit us in August and enjoy the Inn and the beautiful city of Charlottesville as summer comes to a close!