Now that spring is here (okay not officially but the weather sure seems like it is) and the flowers are blooming you need to get away for a few days and enjoy what Charlottesville has to offer. Below are a few ideas to stimulate your thinking.
Events at King Family Vineyard – I must admit we are a bit partial towards King Family Vineyards. Their wines are very good and the people there are incredibly friendly. In March there are three events they are hosting that caught my attention. I’m hoping we will be able to get to at least one of them.
- March 1 – Wine Wednesday, from 5:00-8:30. There will be music by Genna Matthew and hot soup available from L’etoile Catering for you to enjoy with a glass of wine. Wednesday
- March 15 – After Hours Tasting in the Library Room from 6:00-7:00. This time Viogniers from around the world will be tasted and discussed. Reservations are required. Hot soup will ge available from L’etoile Catering. Wednesday
- March 31 – Annual Meritage Vertical Tasting at the Carriage House from 6:00-8:00. Reservations are required. Charcuterie from L’etoile Catering. This is a great way to learn about Meritage. Friday
Events at Monticello – there are always great activities going on at Monticello. This March is no exception!
- March 16 & 18 – Peach Tree Pruning from 10:00-12:00. You will have time for a great breakfast before you head of to Monticello for this hands-on course on the best techniques for pruning the trees to yield great peaches. Thursday/Saturday
- March 25 – Starting a Vineyard from 10:00-12:00. Learn from the master vintner Gabrielle Rausse. If you’ve ever thought about owning a vineyard you should attend this class. Saturday
- March 26 – from 1:00-2:00 author Jane Kamensky will explore the American revolution via the Boston painter John Singleton Copley and discuss her book “A Revolution in Color”. Sunday
- March 28 – from 4:00-5:00 author Kevin Gutzman discusses Thomas Jefferson’s role regarding religious freedom, education and the role of the federal government. Tuesday
Events at the Virginia Festival of the Book – there are so many events going on from March 22-26 to list here. You need to check out their website to find ideas that interest you. We will have another blog offering other events than the ones below. I thought I would start with the ones that are in my wheelhouse: Food related sessions. I am only going to give the sessions and times here. Links to each of the sessions are highlighted.
- March 22 – Cookbooks with a Sweet Tooth from 4:00-5:30 Wednesday
- March 23 – Adventures in Eating: Navigating the World for the Perfect Meal from 10:00-11:30 (this one I am definitely planning on attending). Thursday
- March 23 – from 12:00-3:00. Cooking Demos from three great chefs/cooks that are giving talks this festival. Thursday
- March 23 – Food Traditions and Women Chefs from 4:00-5:30 Thursday
- March 24 – How We Choose What to Eat from 12:00-1:30 Friday
- March 24 – Recipes and Stories from a Modern Diner from 2:00-3:00 (this sounds really interesting since I love diners) Friday
- March 26 – Best Food Writing of 2016 from 1:00-2:30 Sunday
Stayed tuned for our next blog which will offer more from the Virginia Festival of the Book. It really is a great five day event that you should try to attend if you can.
As we said there is a lot going on in Charlottesville in March and this is only a very narrow sampling. If you want more ideas do not hesitate to contact us.
Looking forward to seeing you in March!
Dan & Kathryn – your innkeepers at Foxfield Inn