Ah, September! The month when the nights start cooling down and the days stay warm & sunny. Just the perfect weather to get out and explore. If you love apples there are several apple orchards in the area so you can pick your own or pick up a selection of apples in bins waiting for you.
Below are some ideas that you may want to consider to get you out of the house and into the Albemarle countryside or the University Grounds. Of course if none of these interest you there is always hiking, biking, horseback riding, balloon riding, visiting wineries (and sipping some good wines!). There is lots to do in Charlottesville and Albemarle County!
- Saturday September 12 – 9th Annual Heritage Harvest Festival at Monticello. This popular event showcases heirloom fruit and vegetables through workshops and lessons, sampling of foods by local chefs plus a local food market – all on the beautiful West Lawn of Monticello. If you are in town on Friday night plan on attending the Festival Opening Ceremony at The Paramount Theater. The Fabulous Beekman Boys are in town to kick the festival off in great style.
- Saturdays September 12, 19 & 25 (Friday) – UVA Football at Scott Stadium. Join in the fun and excitement of watching the UVA football team. Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Hoo’s coming to town? September 12 – Notre Dame; September 19 – William & Mary; September 25 – Boise State. This could be the start of a successful UVA football season.
- Thursday September 17 – Night at the Museum at Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Museum. Enjoy exploring the exhibitions from 5:00-9:00 pm. The Smiling Islanders start playing their music at 6:00 pm. Hungry? There will be food trucks their for you purchase your dinner or snack plus beer from Devil’s Backbone!
- Tuesday-Friday September 22-25 – LUSH Wine Camp (summer camp for adults!) Enjoy four days filled with learning about wine, meeting vintners, seeing the behind-the-scenes activities at some of Charlottesville premier vineyards. Plus two extravagant wine pairing dinners. If all you needed to do was sip wine and relax as Sommelier Kim Dozier takes you to 7 spectacular wineries. Plus you get to stay with us here at Foxfield Inn!
- Sunday September 27th – Southern Living Idea House 2015 – Bundoran Farm. Tour this beautiful property which was designed by harlottesville-native Bunny Williams. Working with Rosney Co. Architects they designed a quintessential Virginia farmhouse, filled with hundreds of fresh ideas for decorating, architect and gardening. Situated in the rolling hills of Charlottesville, Virginia, the 2015 Southern Living Idea House is located at Bundoran Farm—a preservation community where a majority of the land is protected landscape.