Top Nine Things to do in Charlottesville This February
People traditionally think of summertime for a visit to Charlottesville, Virginia, but if you are the kind of person who appreciates the extraordinary, consider a visit in February. There are an abundance of things to do – from arts, history, wine, and even mystery! And while you’re here, be sure to stay with us at Foxfield Inn. Welcome!
• Art & Country, a diverse selection of 34 works on canvas, paper, and eucalyptus bark, taken from the Kluge-Ruhe’s permanent collection. February 1-June 30, 2015, Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Museum. For details, click here.
• Musical Events at Albemarle Ciderworks. Music will be in the air every weekend throughout the month of February at Albemarle Ciderworks. The offerings include country to Irish jam session, classical banjo, to American Folk, and blues. Shows are from 3-5 pm, no cover.
Enjoy a culinary journey in “The American Plate,” with Dr. Libby O’Connell.
• The American Plate: A History of the United States in 100 Bites, a lecture by Dr. Libby O’Connell, chief historian of The History Channel, provides a culinary journey through the evolution of America’s cuisine and culture, covering 100 different foods. Tastings follow in the Monticello Gift Shop. 2-4 pm February 14, $15. Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center.
• Sequential Vegetable Planting.“Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?” Have a piece of Monticello in your own back yard; use seeds from historic Monticello in your garden! Learn how to maximize your yields by using sequential planting methods in this three-part, hands-on workshop. Come get your hands dirty! 10 am-noon, February 7, $28. Thomas Jefferson’s Tufton Farm.
• Plant Label Calligraphy.Learn the techniques for pen and ink script from Monticello’s vegetable gardener, Pat Brodowski, who creates the plant labels for the Monticello gardens. Create your own beautiful labels at home and be the envy of your gardening friends! 10 am-noon, February 28, $18, at Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center. For details, click here.
Under the cloak of night mysteries abound! Be part of the action, and “Step into Mystery.”
• Step into Mystery.If mystery is your thing, and you are not content to be a mere observer, then this is for you! Become a character in this monthly event and be part of the action! 7-10 pm, the first Monday of every month beginning February 2, $35. 3 Notch’d Brewing Company. For details click here. Are you the next Inspector Clouseau?
Food and Wine
Go back in time to Mr. Jefferson’s table in “Italian Night,” inspired by our founding
father’s 1787 trip to Italy. Mangia!
• Jefferson’s Table: Italian Night. Join instructors from Charlottesville’s Speak! Language Center as they prepare homemade tagliatelle and share their knowledge of Italian food and culture. 6-8 pm February 21, 2015 at Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center. For details click here. Mangia!
• A Valentine’s Affair.Get a jump on Valentine’s Day and enjoy a catered buffet dinner at Glass House Winery February 13th in the beautiful rolling countryside west of town. Catering provided by L’etoile of Charlottesville with live music by 2 Wishes. A special chocolate dessert will complete the repast. $40/person or $80/couple. For details click here.
• Valentine’s Day Winemaker’s Dinner at Veritas.Enjoy a spectacular five-course, wine-paired dinner, with music and dancing to follow. $140 per person inclusive of the meal, paired with a glass of Veritas with each course. For details, click here.
So if you are looking for the extraordinary, come to Charlottesville this February, and see how many of these nine things YOU can check off your list! And let us know your favorites.
Dan and Kathryn Bundy, your innkeepers Foxfield Inn, a luxurious bed and breakfast in Charlottesville, VA