Once again I am amazed that it is mid-October. Every year this happens. I still haven’t gotten to do all the things I wanted to do in October yet alone start thinking about things to do in November. But it’s time to put my hat on and check out what’s going on next month.
This year I decided that I would concentrate on two categories – arts and music. Here are just a few of my favorites.
- Virginia Film Festival – this is a perennial favorite. The festival is in it’s 29th season and this year’s schedule looks fantastic. The festival is Thursday-Sunday, Nov 3-6. There are 100+ events for you to enjoy. Dan is particularly forward to hearing Werner Herzog on Saturday afternoon. Be sure to check out the schedule – I am sure you will find a film or a talk that you “can’t miss”.
- Ann Gale Portraits at the Fralin Museum of Art. Her exhibit is open every day in November (except for Thanksgiving). Her work includes portraits which reveal the connection between the model, the artist, the setting and the atmosphere.
- Artisans Studio Tour – Another perennial favorite! This self-guided tour allows you to visit 42 artisans in 23 studios on Saturday & Sunday Nov 12 & 13. This is a great way to see how they work and to talk with them about their creations. The tour is free and open to the public. Hours are 10:00 – 5:00.
- First Wednesday at King Family Vineyards – On November 2nd you can purchase either a glass or bottle of wine and sit out under the stars listening to the musical stylings of Genna Matthew Music from 5:00 – 8:30 pm. If you get hungry you can purchase a wood-fired pizza from the Blue Ridge Pizza Company or bring your own picnic.
- Sue Harlow at Albemarle Cider Works – From 2:30 – 4:30 pm on Sunday November 27th you can enjoy the music of Sue Harlow. Sue is an Americana-Folk Singer/Songwriter who’s music moves your soul. Be sure to enjoy a glass of one of Albemarle’s Cider Works great ciders while listening to her.